Thu, Sep 22
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
LINE, SHAPE, AND SPACE: ABSTRACT DESIGN FOR MOSAIC
With Kelley Knickerbocker!
Can be extended to a 2 day course if there is enough interest!
Workshop Description: Using the three basic elements of line, shape and space, Kelley provides practical starting points and working strategies for conveying ideas and concepts abstractly. Mosaic materials and andamento are inherently expressive; keeping their underlying design structure simple supports and frees their eloquent narrative.
In this course you’ll learn:
- Eight basic principles of art and design
- Seven functions of line in design
- Five functions of space in design
- How to find relationship and story in basic lines and shapes
- Some of the many ways lines and shapes can occupy space
- How a balanced underlying structure can inform design
- How to balance planning and spontaneity in your approach to design
- How to use representational objects/scenes as a springboard to abstractions
If you tend to overthink your plan, never fear; we’ll do some fun exercises to give you something unexpected to respond to and keep spontaneity alive in your compositions. As we develop the underlying design framework, you’ll learn to ask yourself leading questions and make choices toward effectively conveying an idea or mood and bringing it to rich, complex life with the texture and rhythm of mosaic.
What to bring: Your favorite mosaic tools, pen and paper for taking notes.
$250 (includes all supplies/materials)
*Transfers or full refunds will be given up to 7 days prior to your class less a $20 administration fee. After that, full refunds less the $20 admin fee, are given if we fill your spot.